Home Contact News Forum Interactive Articles Comments Join Links Facebook
 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 

Stonnall History Group


The Bricks of Thornes Hall 2

These bricks that are visible at the base of the Old Vicarage are clearly the same as those used in the construction of Church Cottage/Old School House. Behold the bricks of Thornes Hall once again.
Riches and Poverty

by Susan Marie Ward
My dad found his own father an engaging subject for photographic portraits. 'Pop' was now in his 80s. His face has the rich texture of age without appearing careworn. His still quite full head of hair...
Read more
The Bricks of Thornes Hall

Looking closely at the brickwork of Church Cottage/the former house of the schoolmaster of the National School, we note that the colouration of the bricks is uneven, indicating that they were recycled from a demolition. An early 19th century edition of Kelly's Directory informs us that the fabric of Thornes Hall was refashioned into a free school (as well as accommodation for the homeless of the village). Behold the bricks of Thornes Hall.
Some Recent History

A letter from Buckingham Palace.
At the Church on Saturday

A couple of historical figures: on the right, Iris Hewitt, who is the last known domestic at the Old Vicarage (1960s); third from right, Dot Smith, who was the Village Institute caretaker in the 1960s.
Another Member of the Hopley Clan

This is Annie Hopley, born 16/11/1894 at New Street, Shelfield, the daughter of William and Susannah Hopley. She married John Clark on 26/12/1916 at Stonnall and died on 3/2/1941, also at Stonnall.
Dig Update 3

This photo shows an extension to the trench to the north. This has revealed what appears to be an impression (picture centre) of another large stone which, presumably, was removed when the building was dismantled. There are at least two more such impressions in the trench.

Trowelling down to the subsoil has revealed a burned layer and many fragments of charcoal. Several nails have been recovered, indicating a building that was partially made of wood, possibly with a wooden frame. It may be that the wooden parts of the building were burned after it was dismantled.
The Marriage of Daisy Clarke and David Blakemore

Stonnall Church, Nov 1945.

L - R: Nellie (Helen) Blakemore, Florence Hopley, David Blakemore, Hilda Clarke, Jack Hopley, Elsie Hopley, David Blakemore, Daisy Blakemore, George Hopley, Emily (Pem) Hopley, Edna Jewell. The little girl is Mary White.

Pem Hopley was, of course, the licensee at the Royal Oak. This photo was shared by Pauline Blakemore.
 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 
Home Contact News Forum Interactive Articles Comments Join Links Facebook